Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hot Pepper Dill Pickle Relish

So I am trying my hand at more canning.  I have had an abundance of hot peppers and pickling cucumbers, and I looked and looked for a recipe for a dill relish.  All I could find was a dill pickle relish, so I just started experimenting.  Here is what I came up with:

Food Process the following:
8-10 c of cucumbers (cut the ends off and cut into smaller slices for easy food processing)
3 c of onions
4 cloves of garlic
4 c of assorted hot peppers (I used a combo of:  hot banana, jalapeno, garden salsa, and a red and milder version of a habenero called a zavory.  Be sure to remove the stems).

Put in a large bowl and cover with a 3/4 a cup of pickling salt and water.  Top with some ice cubes for crispness.  Let sit for 3-4 hours.  Rinse thoroughly.

In a large pot combine and bring to a boil:
6 c of cider vinegar
1/2-3/4 c of sugar (depending on your taste...I started with 1/2 but sprinkled in a little more to combat tartness)
3 T of mustard seed
1 T of celery seed
1T of dill seed
2 T of dill weed (dried spice version)
1 T of red pepper flakes

Add vegetable mixture.  Bring back to a boil for 15-30 minutes (depending on desired consistency).  I got 7.5 pints out of this recipe.  It seems good on first try.  In hindsight, I would definitely try to add more red peppers just for color.  I wonder what the difference would be if I used regular vinegar and not cider vinegar?  Overall, this is good relish with a kick.  I like the flavor and consistency.  I think if I make sweet pickle relish I will use this recipe and just add sugar and less dill b/c my other relish had too much turmeric.

Sorry no pictures this time.  My darling photographer assistant is busy redoing our 1/2 bath.

No comments: