Sunday, August 16, 2009

Selling a house is an intense experience

Well, the house is on the market and has been for about 15 days. In that space of time, we have scheduled 13 showings (or viewings as my vocabulary challenged mother says) and declined one. I have sold one other house in my lifetime and I don't remember it being this "intense". We have had a lot of traffic, but on top of that, we've had some crazy experiences.
The first was a night that the kids had soccer. Brian comes home with a pizza in hand and says, "there is a woman on the phone and a gaggle of people outside looking at the house." I reply that we'll probably get a call for a showing, and before I know it the phone rings and the agent on the other end says, "if you look out your window, you will see the agent and people who would like to see your house right now." We were not in a position to show at that moment, plus we had a dinner to eat and kids to get to soccer. I was able to get them to hold off on the showing by an hour, but it was really difficult.
Then today we had a showing scheduled from 2:15-3:15. We had the house cleaned and ready to go, but we still had the cats to gather and kids to collect (they were playing at friends' houses). We always leave the house about 15-20 minutes early, so we thought we were in good shape when at 1:27 someone starts to come in my house. I go to the door and sure enough it was a realtor. I introduced myself and she was little flustered as she said "oh, we're a little early." A litter early is right. Geesh. I told her we coudn't get out at the moment, but we'd be out w/in 10 minutes. She said they would just come by closer to the scheduled time. We left early, and came home and there was NO evidence that anyone had been in the house to view it. That is really frustrating. Brian says there is no way he will accept a showing from her ever again.
I know it is a "buyer's market" but COME ON. There has to be some respect to the life the homeowner leads. I can't wait until we move out and are in our new place and don't have to uproot ourselves for some showing.
I know it is the game we have to play, so I am trying to grin and bear it, but it is unbearable at times. I hope we get a contract soon, but I know it took our first house over a month before we had a contract. We've only been at this 2 weeks and 2 days. At this point the old cliche patience is a virtue holds true.

No comments: